If a medal was given for laziness, the Ragdoll would leave all the other breeds far behind and hang on the leader’s yellow jersey and gold, and silver, and bronze medals!
Cats of the Ragdoll breed are distinguished by their rare phlegmatic nature. Is it a virtue or a lack of breed? And what other differences are hidden in the piggy bank of ragdolls?
The history of the origin
A cat of the Ragdoll breed is so lazy that did not even leave the chronicle of its breed to the descendants. The history of the origin of the breed is covered with wool of darkness, through which only a few reliable facts can be seen.
The homeland of “rag dolls” is America. California breeders accidentally stumbled upon a gold mine, or rather, a domestic kitty Josephine in the early 60-ies of the last century which was famous for an extremely complaisant character. So compliant that Josephine had absolutely no objection to marriage with a certain representative of the Burmese breed.
As a result of the efforts expended, the ragdoll breed was registered in 1965, with its standard and admirers. By the way, you can find photos of Josephine on the Internet. They show that the pro-mother of the breed was clearly of the Angora type. Today, the most ragdolls are popular in England, Germany, Italy, France and, of course, the USA. This breed is very similar to the Persians.
The description of the ragdoll cat breed
The first thing that you pay attention to are bright blue and very intelligent eyes that seem to be looking at the very essence of things. Perhaps, the cat Buddha is the best description of a ragdoll. But the breed standard insists on the details.
1. The head of the ragdoll cat is cuneiform. There is an obvious flat surface between the ears. Cheeks are developed well, they smoothly pass into the jaw and chin of medium size:
- The nose of the “pupae” has a light break-transition. IMPORTANT! The length of the nose is 2 times its width;
- The ears at the base are wide, but can have brushes at the tips. At the same time, the ears are medium in size, a slight inclination of the ears is observed. Wool has medium length on the inside of the ears;
- Eyes are not eyes, but more than eyes! And these eyes can be exceptionally bright blue. Different sub-stakes are allowed. The eyes are large, oval, set far apart. By the way, the special muscular tone of the ragdolls also affects the fact that the eyes of the kittens of this breed open only two weeks after birth, while the usual kittens on the 10th or 12th day;
- Luxurious white mustache is one of the defining characteristics of the breed;
- The neck is muscular, strong.
2. In the way a ragdoll cat has some common features with Burmese cats. There are similarities, but no less differences. Ragdolls are big and heavy cats unlike burmese. Their size depends heavily on the floor. Girls are noticeably smaller. But male and female cats have the same, well developed and wide thorax , the body is long, muscular.
There may be fat deposits on the abdomen (but only on the stomach, in other places such stocks are excluded). Male and female cats reach complete development reach about three years. In appearance, they are, rather, closer to Maine Coons, unless the coloring is a little confusing.
Legs have got medium length, there can be strands of wool between the fingers on the rounded legs. The tail is long, pointed, very well pubescent. Ragdolls bear this wool banner proudly and highly vertically while moving.
The weight of cats is 4-6 kg, cats are 6-9 kg. Oh, yes, these kittens are heavyweights among thoroughbred cats!
3. The wool of cats, if you rely on the reviews of the owners of ragdolls, the wool is similar to the wool of rabbits. It is medium-long, with a small undercoat, the texture is silky (therefore it does not nearly fall down), it is easily and painlessly combed. There is an outstanding woolen collar on the neck, and “panties” on the hind legs – so it looks like an ideal ragdoll from the picture!
4. Color. Ragdolls can have three types of color:
- Color-point (Siamese type, light wool and mask on the face, plus dark tail, ears and paws);
- Glove color “Mitted” (white gloves on the paws and light wool on the chest and chin);
- Bicolor, a combination of two colors (legs, chest, belly – white, trunk light, dark mask on the face and darker tail and ears). Shades of wool can be a variety of options cocoa-chocolate or brown, as well as dark purple or bluish. Color combinations are not limited by the standard. Black, gray, red color … it’s not about them. If somebody is trying to offer you an animal of this color, then it can be anyone, but not a “rag doll”! But all ragdolls may be white, but not for long.
Temperament of the Ragdoll cats
The rare adaptive ability of this breed is simply amazing. They easily adapt to any home and almost any company. The main thing is to be quiet! Because loud sounds prevent you from being lazy, and lazy ragdoll loves most and does it masterfully! Being with them under the same roof is comfortable, the ragdolls are calm, good-natured and obedient. Actually, it’s not surprising, considering that they brought them out just because of the character.
And the character turned out to be not aggressive and very soft. The owners note that whatever position they do not put the ragdoll in, a kitten ragdoll remains in the same. No wonder they are also called toys!
IMPORTANT! Since the appearance of the breed in the world, people are constantly trying to give out for ragdolls someone else. How can you tell if a fake is in front of you? Exclusively by nature. Fake ragdoll does not amuse! Or rather, it never shows a unique character, so appreciated by connoisseurs.
By the way, one more difference of the ragdoll is the voice. He gives it very rarely, solely on business and barely audible. This unobtrusiveness of the ragdolls is manifested in everything – in the way it relaxes in your hands, and in neatness and mildness.
This breed is ideal for families with children, because ragdolls adore when they are squeezed, patted and pampered. In addition, if you accustom the baby to the slay from a young age, then you can make unhurried promenades with the ragdoll, posing for photos and giving autographs.
It is also worth noting that if you already have a pet (cat or even a dog), then do not let it stop you from thinking to bring a ragdoll to the house – they will perfectly get along and even make friends. But the company of the person for it all the same is more preferable. Prepare for the fact that the “rag doll” will always be at your fingertips. Or under the foot, or at your side, in general, as it will!
In principle, ragdolls are cats with good health and they keep this strong health to an advanced age. But still not without a fly in the ointment.
The first problem specific to a particular breed is dysplasia of the hip joint. The mild degree of this disease will not cause a particular discomfort, and the owner and at all may not notice it. But here is a serious degree of dysplasia which threatens lameness or immobility of the pet.
And another problem that can occur is feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HC). This is a heart disease, dangerous because the animal can die quite suddenly at an early age. Since the disease is inherited, let the breeders provide you with true information about the state of health of the kitten’s parents when you are buying a ragdoll. However, HC can happen to cats of other breeds, but it is better sometimes to blow on water and to be reinsured.
Care and maintenance
Experienced ragdoll breeders recommend to take the baby from the mother at about the age of 16 weeks. This is due to a small delay in the development of ragdoll kids compared with the kids of other breeds. By the way, these delayed reactions affect the care of “plush toys”.
In no case they should be allowed to walk outside on their own, because they can get under the car or not have time to escape from aggressive dogs. Ragdolls cannot defend by themselves, therefore – only the home environment!
IMPORTANT! Ragdolls cannot just turn in the air, you have to watch so that they do not fall from a height, even with the smallest. So, make straws, or better just disinfect the animal to climb high – Ragdoll cats are smart, they will understand!
There are no special nuances for caring for sloths – ragdoll wool does not get tangled, but daily combing does not hurt it. Use for this purpose a special brush for Siberian cats and get mutual pleasure.
Ragdoll is phlegmatic, but not during the feeding! “Dolls” like to eat and do not complain for lack of appetite. However (lucky!) Signs of obesity are not noticed on them.
But there is an urgent need for special mineral additives. The breed’s representatives reach a full development only to the year 4, all this time their skeleton grows, energy costs increase and your veterinarian will tell you how and what to replenish and what additives to feed the pet.
Since pets belong to heavyweights, then portions of food for them are larger than for ordinary cats. So, a kitten needs at least 120 grams of food, and for adults – up to 300 grams every day. Suitable dry food will fully satisfy the needs of the ragdoll, and if you choose a natural type of food, then remember that the pet should not be fed with fatty, fried, milk, river fish and too many porridges.
Meat should be 2/3 of the total diet. Meals should not be only plentiful, but also frequent! Interesting fact! All without exception kittens ragdolls are born white, without a single speck, the first “coloring” begins about 10th day, and in full “combat” color, the ragdoll enters only to the age of two.
Ragdoll’s life expectancy is 15-18 years, so you have time to enjoy the beauty of the indescribable.
Ragdoll cat price
The price of a Ragdoll kitten depends on many factors. Average price is $800 – $1000 USD.