Pixie bob is a breed of cats that was artificially bred. Breeders meant to make a domestic cat that looks like a lynx. It turned out Pixie bob. Indeed, the new breed was alike to tame forest dwellers, although these cats are absolutely homemade by temperament.
History of the origin
The birthplace of Pixie bob is the USA. The felinologist Carol Ann Brewer bought an unusual kitten in the Washington area, in the spring of 1985: he had a non-standard number of fingers (polydactyly) and a short tail-bob. A year later the American lady rescued another short-tailed cat. He was very large: almost to the knees of a man and weighing 8 kg (and this despite the exhausted state).
It can compete with Maine Coons in size. A kitten girl was born from the mating of these two unique cats which became the ancestor of the new breed. It was called Pixie, which means “elf”. It was covered with dark specks against the background of a fawn with a red tinge. Pixie’s face was very much like a lynx. A year later, Brewer began a program to breed a new breed of Pixie bob.
Description of the Pixie bob cat breed
Kittens of the Pixie bob breed have average sizes, while older cats are more impressive and massive. At the same time, they grow up to 4 years, whereas the growth of conventional cats stops at 1 year.
Weight also varies depending on the sex: cats are about 5 kg, cats can have all 10 kg.
The main signs of the difference between a Pixie bob, for example, a pear-shaped head with triangular eyes and massive eyelids are different from an American Bobolla. Unique features are polydactyly.
Let us consider the detailed standard of the Pixie bob breed according to the international organization TICA:
- Head – the shape of an inverted pear, from medium to large size, a powerful chin, full wide muzzle in the form of an equilateral rhombus, fleshy round mustache pads, lynx whiskers;
- Ears – medium height, wide, deep landing, slightly inclined forward, rounded ends, preferably with tassels, especially in long-haired, pale imprint on the outside of the ear;
- Eyes – medium size, a streamlined triangle shape, with heavy eyelids and thick eyebrows; Deeply planted. Kittens are born with blue eyes, but they change to golden until 7 months old, brown or the color of green gooseberry;
- Nose – broad, slightly convex, small hump, skin of brick color;
- Body – powerful, sizes: medium to large, protruding shoulder blades, hip line slightly above the shoulders; Hips of medium width, protruding; Wide chest, hanging abdomen;
- Paws – long, with hind legs slightly longer than front, muscular with heavy skeleton, large fleshy fingers, polydactyly is allowed – up to 7 fingers on paws;
- Tail – minimum length – 5 cm, maximum – to the hock (with an elongated paw). It is desirable that the tail is articulated with bends and creases;
- Wool – up to 5 cm long for long-haired, there are also short-haired. At all – on a stomach the wool is longer as well as at a Kurilian bobtail.
You can see what a Pixie bob looks like in the next photo: Pixie bobs can be of all shades of brown spotted tabby, mouse color, with an inverted ticking (when the ends of the hair are not dark, but light), with a light neck and abdomen. Shades of color can vary depending on the season and molting (red, red, brown tones).
Detailed description of the picture:
- Paw pads are usually dark brown or black
- The tip of the tail must also be a chocolate color or black.
- Around the eyes – white or cream-colored headband. From the outer edge of the eye go dark “hands” down his cheeks.
- On the forehead of a dark letter “M”.
- Mustache can be dark at the base and white at the tips.
- Spots are scattered in the body , they are small and medium size , their color thick. The belly is also spotted.
Pixie bob temperament
According to reviews of the owners cats of pixie bob breed is very loyal to the person, they get along well with children and other animals. They are not used to sharing their owner with someone else. Here are some funny reviews from owners of the breed: they call these cats “disguised dogs”.
Indeed, Pixie bob is also attached to the owner, it is easy to learn and get used to walking on a leash. they are inquisitive and sociable animals that love to talk, and, if it is necessary to roar. In the game, they can butt, run with the ball, to bring toys, and even respond to human commands.
Pixie bob only looks wild and gloomy due to his heavy brow. This is actually very affectionate cat. They are not aggressive, rarely bite and scratch.
Care and health
In general Pixie bob differs with its good health. The average life expectancy is 13 years and above. Genetic diseases are not commonly found. Nevertheless, over the 35 years of the official existence of the breed was a few cases of problems were recorded related to the reproductive system and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM).
How to determine if a cat has a predisposition to these diseases? If HCMC happened to one of your cat’s parents, then he needs to have an ultrasound scan every year to check his health. Pixie bobs can be sensitive to some inoculations, so you should always consult a veterinarian before vaccination. The pledge of your cat’s health is its normal weight.
Therefore, feed the Pixie bob only twice a day and preferably with high-quality dry food. Even the short-haired Pixie bobes have very thick wool. Because they need to comb out at least once a week to remove dead hairs and keep the hair healthy and shiny.
Also, regularly prune your cat’s claws, brush its teeth and ears. Bathing is allowed no more than once a month.
Pixie bob price
Pixie bob kitten costs $300-$1500 US.
Conclusions about the breed
If you dream of a companion cat, we recommend that you pay attention to this breed, affable and self-sufficient. Usually a cat is a thing in itself. But this does not apply to Pixie bob, they are open and friendly creatures. The owners of cats of this breed celebrate their devotion and restraint. The Pixie bob expresses its emotions with sounds. But you will not wait for them familiar meow.
Pixie bobs produce special chest sounds peculiar only to this breed. And they are creepy conservatives and do not like when something or someone is changing: from the wallpaper in the room to the color of the mistress’s hair.
Being of good health, a pixie bob, however, is predisposed to one disease – hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This disease, which thickens the heart muscle (myocardium). you can prevent development the disease if you regularly monitor the condition of the cat’s heart with ultrasound.
Pixie bob owners’ reviews
Karina: “It seems that the absence of the tail of the Pixie bobs was replaced by some kind of bubbly element in the body. At least, my Curry murmurs all the time, and if you take it in your arms – it’s like a tractor !!! Tractors will be jealous! We were lucky and brushes grew on Curry’s ears, so all friends have a persistent feeling, then we have a young lynx in our house. By the way, brushes do not grow in all Pixie bobs. By the way, they happen to have paws-mittens with six or even seven fingers.”
Peter: “I got a cat from a friend who, after a divorce, he could not keep an animal at home because of his eternal employment. And since I’m a freelancer, I had to take it out. But I must say that I have not regretted for a minute my kindness – the cat of a rare breed of Pixie bob with an exotic nickname Athanasius has replaced my house elf. I want to hurry to home in the evening, it should be taken care, if it could cook still dumplings, then I would never marry. A real male cat! “