History of the origin of the breed
The first official references to these cats are displayed in the manuscript Smud Koi (The Book of Poems about the Cats, 1358-1767). The native land of the Oriental cat (Thailand)supported a restricted travel regime for its mewing beauty for long time and the world did not know cats of this breed .
Oriental cats got into the Old World by some miracle in the 19th century.
So, the cat Master Timkey Brown and the cat Granny Grumps tried to conquer the English people for the first time in 1894, at an exhibition in London, but without success. There is a description of cats from that landmark event: “Completely painted chestnut siamese cats with blue-green eyes.”
The next attempt occurred after two years. The Siamese cat of a solid blue color was disqualified because of the “improper” coloring at the exhibition in Britain.
In other words, the way of orientals to glory was not simple! After all, what a typical representative of this breed looks like, was misleading for very long time everyone. The British club of Siamese cats at all wanted to prohibit legislating such cats.
Only in the 60th of the last century breeders (Baroness Edith von Ulmann) seriously took up the breed and its differences from the Siamese turned into virtues!
Solemn registration of oriental breed of cats occurred in 1974.
Description of Oriental cat breed
Siamo-oriental cats are distinguished by a special “fluidity”. The long, delicate lines of their body are very refined and elegant.
1. The head has average dimensions, it forms an ideal equilateral triangle in shape:
- The nose is long and smooth, it continues the forehead line, there should be no signs of snub-nose. The end of the nose and the end of the chin should form a straight line;
- Ears – these are notable signs from far away! They are large (in relation to the head), slightly rounded at the base broad. It is important that the line of the ears continue the line of the wedge of the head. Kittens orientals belong to the eastern group, therefore, they have “early growth of the ears”. That is, the ears grow in the first three months of life, that is why the oriental kitten is very similar to Cheburashka. And then the ears stop to grow, and the animal continues to evolve, the sizes are compared and as a result a very harmonious being is obtained;
- Kittens begin to look at the world with wide open eyes already on the third day after birth. Eyes in oriental cats are almond-shaped, there should not be any cavities between them, strabismus is a disqualification sign. The eye color of 299 oriental color types is green (or disagreement) and only the white oriental cat has blue eyes.
2. The body of cats of this breed is stately and elongated. The breed standard provides for a refined (but not miniature skeleton) and strong musculature.
- The stomach must be browned.
- Prominent cartilages are prominent on the chest.
- The limbs are slender, the front legs are shorter than the rear legs. Paws are miniature, round.
- The tail is thin and long.
- Cats of oriental breed weigh 6-8 kg, weight of cats is up to 5 kg.
3. Wool of Oriental cats are short-haired and long-haired. In any case, their coat must be necessarily shiny. The pile should fit snugly to the body like a Thai cat.
4. “Cat of all colors of the rainbow”! Such reviews are met by those who are interested in the breed. Indeed, the oriental cat can be proud – in its palette of about 300 kinds of colors. This is one of the most variable in color rocks. Any colors, in any combination – specks, stripes, peas, but at least the pictures on the back are found in one of the litters.
The basic colors are:
Havana (chocolate color). This is a uniform color of the coat, in which the lobe of the nose corresponds to the basic brown tone, and the paw pads are pinkish-brown;
- Lilac (lavender) coloring. The wool is gray, there is a “frosty” raid without blue. The lobe (mirror) of the nose and the pads on the paws are pale-lilac;
- Blue color. It should be uniform from the blue mirror of the nose and to the blue tail;
- Cinnamon. This is a light brown version of the color, which includes the pink tip of the nose and pads; painting of the faun. Beige or light gray wool which is combined with pink nose and pads;
- Red color. Wool is red, without dark hairs, pink pads of the paws and a mirror of the nose.
- Characteristics of the breed – with all the above colors, the eyes should be exclusively green.
- Cardinally black or white coat color in orientals is no less popular. Also there are tiger, spotted, marble and ticked tabby.
The character of oriental shorthair cats
Who is in the center of the universe? Of course, oriental cat! How to determine that the cat is oriental? The world, the apartment and the inhabitants of the apartment revolve around one lop-eared creature.
And if the creature does not like something, or, on the contrary, likes it very much, or it’s sad, or it’s fun, or the creature has eaten, or run away … in general, any oriental cats are commenting on their own movement or mood with the pleasant “Mneow”.
Those who are not familiar with this breed in person, you need to know that the orientals do not know how to keep silent and will give a voice (meow) every minute!
In addition, they constantly need attention and suffer greatly if this attention is not received.
According to the owners, oriental cats are very energetic. It would be right to write VERY energetic !!! They are not ones who warm the couch for hours. Orientals are always in motion, they are chasing toys, children, sunbeams and only them with noticeable specks of dust. Therefore, there are so few photos with kittens-orientals as they simply cannot be persuaded to pose for the photographer!
At the age of up to six months you will constantly have to shoot your pet from the next Everest, because they seem to be able to walk on walls.
At least, climbing the curtains and conquering the cornices – the characteristic features of the oriental cat in a good mood.
In this regard, it is recommended to insure plants on the windowsill. They are in danger of being accidentally dumped, or serve as an additional loo for a quick-witted kitten, who will be able to realize with a savvy smile: “What is the purpose of the land plot?”
With all the obvious merits (friendliness and sociability), the character of the oriental cat is touchy. It passed to her as a legacy from the grandmother of the Siamese.
In principle, health of oriental cats are predisposed to several diseases:
- gingivitis. This disease is provoked by an infection that comes from tartar. Symptoms of the disease – unpleasant smell from the mouth, the animal’s refusal to eat, abundant salivation. Prophylaxis is simple – regular cleaning of the oral cavity of the animal;
- hereditary amyloidosis of the liver;
- progressive retinal atrophy. This disease can affect the animal at any age, the symptoms go unnoticed, only a special examination by a veterinarian can reveal the disease;
- flat chest syndrome. This disease is typical only for kittens. Such a deformation in a weak form gives the kitten a chance of salvation, because with the growth of the animal its chest is straightened, but a strong form of deformation leads to the death of the animal;
- cardiomyopathy (heart disease). Forewarned – armed. Just watch your pet and do not forget to visit the veterinarian periodically. And you need to hide the orientals from drafts. They have no undercoat and for this reason openly freeze in our latitudes. Consequently, they are also not adapted to life on the street. But the life span of an oriental cat is 15-17 years in an apartment, and with proper care.
Care and maintenance
To take care of it, sing along with her serenades and give flowers to the eastern beauty of the owners, may be necessary, but the traditional care for the cat of this breed is very simple. Combing with a rubber glove, not frequent, but regular, it will help to support the fur of the oriental cat in a beautiful glossy appearance.
- Cleaning the ears with cotton buds is one of the indispensable points for caring for a cat.
- Cleaning of tartar from a veterinarian is an obligatory!
- Preventive measures to control worms and fleas.
Cats of the oriental breed have a decent manicure. It is necessary to cut the claws so that the pet does not turn into a small copy of Freddy Krueger, even more often than to representatives of other breeds. Yes, by the way, these cats do not smell as gladioli. They do not have a characteristic smell!
These features make them extremely attractive!
Dry cats love to eat, and do not worry about their shape at all. And in vain, the oriental cat is prone to obesity. The master’s task is to protect this figure and provide balanced nutrition to the kitty. It is very difficult to sustain proper nutrition on natural foods, so breeders recommend ready-made dry food and premium-grade canned food.
But if you are a principal opponent of such food, then bear in mind that orientals need fats for beauty and shine of wool. Add each portion of a gram of butter. The rate of calorie feeding per day in cats is up to 300 kcal, in cats – 250 kcal. An oriental cat can also be given milk, their body copes with it perfectly, but it’s important to remember that milk is not the main dish in the menu and it’s better to give them a pet two hours after the main meal.
Still experts mark, that food for cats of this breed should be comfortably warm and feeding them follows in a quiet atmosphere that their excitable nervous system does not interfere with food intake.
Oriental cat price
Oriental cat average price is – $400 – $500 USD